Vision Screening for Alabama Drivers License
Like every other state, Alabama requires drivers license and/or learners permit applicants to pass a vision screening. According to state law, drivers who wear corrective lenses should wear them when taking any part of the drivers license exam, including the driving test.
In the event that you do not pass the Alabama vision examination and it is found that corrective lenses are needed to improve your eyesight, you will be required to wear such lenses when driving.
AL Written Drivers Test
Whether you are applying for an Alabama learners permit or a drivers license, you must pass a comprehensive written drivers test. This written exam contains questions on Alabama traffic laws, road signs and rules of safe driving that are based on material directly found in the driving license manual.
Motorcycle license applicants need to study material found in the motorcycle manual provided by the DPS publisher. Copies of the manual are available at the Driving License Examining Station, State Trooper Office or Probate Judge or License Commissioner Office.
AL Driving Test
The final step toward obtaining your AL drivers license is the driving test. You must provide your own vehicle that meets all standards in terms of safety and proper equipment.
Alabama’s road test includes the following maneuvers:
- Right and left turns
- Signaling (hand or approved electrical devices)
- Use of marked and unmarked lanes of traffic
- Backing of vehicle
- Observance of traffic signs and signals
- Making a quick stop
- General control of vehicle
- Three point turn. Stop vehicle at right edge of curb. When safe, make sharp left turn; back vehicle. Move forward in right lane. Do not bump curb or use driveway.
Based on your performance with these maneuvers, the license to drive examiner will mark each item with “acceptable” or “needs training.” Causes for immediate failure and termination of the road test include:
- Violation of a traffic law.
- A dangerous action.
- Any accident which you could have prevented, regardless of legal fault.
- Lack of cooperation or a refusal to perform any maneuver.
In the unfortunate event that you fail the DMV drivers test, you are permitted to try again after you have had time to improve your driving. However, you are only allowed one road test per day.