What is a Motor-Driven Cycle License?
In Alabama, there are two types of motorcycle licenses that are based on your age. The first type of motorcycle license endorsement is called a motor-driven cycle license.
According to the Alabama Motorcycle Manual, motor-driven cycle is defined as, “every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor which produces not to exceed five brake horse-power nor to exceed 150 cubic centimeter engine displacement and weighs less than 200 pounds, fully equipped, and every bicycle with motor attached.”
Alabama state law allows anyone 14 years of age or older to apply for a restricted drivers license to operate a motor-driven cycle only. However, anyone 16 years of age or older can operate a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle.
In order to obtain a motor-driven cycle license, an applicant must provide the following documentation:
- A U.S. birth certificate or Alabama ID card or Alabama vessel license
- A Social Security card
- Third form of identification from secondary list (if first has no photo)
- 15-year-old applicants must have acceptable proof of school enrollment or graduation
- Payment for a $5 testing fee (no checks)
- $36.25 to purchase motor-driven cycle license (no checks)
In addition, motor-driven cycle license applicants must pass an examination taken from the Alabama Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Alabama Drivers Manual. Upon passing, the motorcycle license applicant will be issued a four-year Class M Alabama drivers license with a “B” restriction that indicates the holder may operate a motor-driven cycle only.
Getting a Motorcycle License in Alabama
Obtaining a standard AL Class M motorcycle license is a fairly simple yet thorough process. Anyone 16 years of age or older is eligible to obtain a restricted license to operate a motorcycle in the Cotton State.
Just like with a standard AL drivers license, motorcycle license applicants must provide several documents, including:
- Two forms of identification, at least one of which contains a photograph (one form must be from the “primary” list, in addition to the Social Security card) or three forms of non-photo identification (one form must be from the “primary” list, in addition to the Social Security card).
- Social Security card
- Acceptable school enrollment form or proof of graduation (if younger than 19 and applying for the first time)
- $5 test fee (no checks)
- Applicants 18 or older who wish to complete all testing for a license must have a licensed driver, proof of car insurance and a vehicle that will pass inspection
- $36.25 to purchase license (no checks)
Upon successfully completing the examination for a motorcycle driving license, the DPS will issue you a Class M motorcycle license that indicates the holder may operate a motorcycle only. Remember that your motorcycle license is valid for a period of four years and can be renewed or replaced online using the state’s portal.